Sunday, April 10, 2011


This image by Chris Jordan is a large 60"x60" print of a collection piece. Chris Jordan inspired my collection project so I thought I would write another journal entry about his work. Jordan's "Running the Numbers" works are what attracted me most with his art. This image called ‘Oil barrels’ is digitally rendered image of supposedly 28,000 oil barrels each containing 42 gallons of oil. The image represents the amount of oil consumed every 2 minutes in the United States which turns out to be 1,176,000 gallons (equal to that of a medium sized river). Aesthetically, this image is cynical and dark or not very positive looking as well as possibly quite dramatic and overwhelming, as it should be seeing as it represents a very real and shocking fact. What I like about Jordan’s work is the message he attempts to deliver with each piece. It is as if he is taking facts and portraying them in a whole new way to get the world to recognize things that they would have previously neglected. I think that digital media has helped Chris Jordan to more effectively portray his ideas and experiences. without today's digital media I don't think Jordan would have half the amount of art work that exists in his Running the Numbers section of his website. Chris Jordan's 'Oil Barrels' are very relative to the collection works we have been doing in class. Some of his other pieces were used as examples in class lectures and this is how I came to know/learn about him.  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment